Skip to main content

A very bad experiment



I have read so many articles, books, blogs, medical publishes all about endometriosis and pcos over the past 8 years in the faint hope that one of them would have a miracle cure for the pain. I am sorry to tell you I haven't found one yet! Of all the side effects and symptoms these illnesses cause me (fatigue, weight gain, excess hair, hair loss, infertility, depression to name but a few) pain is by far the worst one! It has got to the point where I don't even know how many pain killers I take when it's a bad day. Recently I started to think that maybe the naproxen and morphine patches I take for the pain were not actually working. I was having so many bad days, so many painful days that I forgot what a pain free day was like. So, before I went to the doctors (again) I tried a little experiment. I stopped taking my naproxen for a week to see if the pain was any different without them? I guess I assumed that they were not making a difference due to the level of pain I had been suffering lately. I assumed not taking them would make no difference to that pain........
Oh how wrong I was! From the first 24 hours without I was in agony from waking til sleep! The pain was so intense at points I was in tears. When I describe how the pain feels to someone who has no idea of endometriosis I say "it's like being stabbed by thousands of tiny swords  from the inside out" and during these few pain med free days I felt like this every day. I only managed 4 days before I had to take them again.  I couldn't believe I was in so much more pain when I was still using my morphine patch. 
You may be thinking why would I even entertain doing this? Well the answer is simple, I was tired of relying on medication to get me through a day. The pain was bad even when taking them and I was hoping if the pain did not change I could drop a tablet or two and maybe get some of my energy back. Maybe feel stronger and  be able to fight this illness a little better. 
So, what did I learn? 
I learnt that I need to trust in my doctor when he says that taking all these tablets will help me. 
I learnt that my pain threshold is so much stronger than I knew. 
I learnt that bad can always be overshadowed by unbearable. 
Most importantly I learnt sometimes what seems like a good idea can be a very stupid one! 
I can promise I won't be doing it again any time soon! 
💙Have a pain free day all!!💙

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When you are caught completely off guard!

Driving home singing along to the radio in the sunshine, enjoying the early finish and the chance to get home and have some fun. Then completely out of the blue, a pain unlike any other shoots right through me. A sharp pain that hits me deep inside. All of a sudden I have tears in my eyes and my legs won't stop shaking. I am less than 2 miles away from my house but I am so worried I won't make it there. I am stuck in traffic which means I have to clutch control when all I want to do is curl up in a ball with a hot water bottle and a ton of codeine in my system.  So I have a multiple choice option: 1. I pull over and wait for the pain to ease. Better to be safe than sorry. 2. Push through the pain and get home as fast as the traffic will allow me. 3. Pull over and call my Dad to come pick me up while crying down the phone. Option 3 is a no go as I know he will be out and unable to collect me. So do I pull over and wait for the pain to ease, which based on my histo

What if Wonder Woman had Fibromyalgia?

So I am a huge fan of superheroes. I love all the Marvel and DC shows and films and am loving the new Comic Cool revival that is happening. I was watching Wonder Woman (again) the other night and started to think to myself “What if Wonder Woman suffered from a chronic pain condition like Fibromyalgia?” or “What if Super-girl had Endometriosis?” what then would happen to the worlds they protect? It stands to reason that if these superheroes have heightened strength and powers then if they suffered from a chronic pain condition then the pain and symptoms would be heightened too. Now I know the purists out there will say they are Gods and Aliens and there DNA wouldn’t suffer from a human condition. Well you may be right, however think for a moment that they as a race can suffer from sickness just as we do. Allow yourself to believe that these could be very similar to our illness and conditions we suffer and strive to find cures for. If that were the case then its plausible they could b

At the beginning of my fibro journey..

It started so slowly that I didn't even realise the symptoms were linked. It took my father watching a random show on television to put it together. The first time I realised something wasn't normal I was at home and I noticed how fast my heart was beating. I had never had palpitations before so when I could see my heart beating through my chest I got a little scared. The palpitations kept coming back and I started to feel dizzy. I first thought that my blood sugar was low. Its hard to explain the fog, the only way I can try is its like I am watching myself through a long lens. I can see my actions but I cant control them. I started to get these a lot over the next few weeks, at home, in work and even when I was driving - this scared me even more.  I had lived with pelvic pain for a long time as I suffer with endometriosis and poly cystic ovary syndrome. I put the pain in my legs and  back down to these but then I started to get pain in my arms and chest too. The pain was di